5.2.1-R panic still occurs on a recent -CURRENT

From: Markie <mark.cullen_at_dsl.pipex.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 01:46:15 +0100
Hi all.

You may or may not remember I was having trouble with 5.2.1-R giving me random
panics along the lines of panic: kmem_malloc(4096): kmem_map too small: xxxx
total allocated. It was suggested that I updated to CURRENT to see if the issue
had been fixed.

Well, my server just rebooted. The strange thing is though I didn't get a
crashdump this time... and it did a background fsck on / aswell, which was
really nice because it booted up so quickly. Is it safe though? I thought bgfsck
wasn't allowed on / yet?

I can't remember who replied last time but I was told to log vmstat -mz every
hour incase of memory leaks, so I have alot of vmstat hourly files if that might
determine the cause of my panic. I also logged netstat -m but if that isn't any
help then I can just get rid of all those.

I also noticed something in the logs not long (or right before) it paniced this
time:

Jul 30 01:19:57 bone kernel: arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo for
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxxrt
Jul 30 01:19:58 bone kernel: arplookup xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx failed: could not
allocate llinfo
Jul 30 01:19:58 bone kernel: arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo for
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxxrt
Jul 30 01:19:58 bone kernel: arplookup xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx failed: could not
allocate llinfo
Jul 30 01:19:58 bone kernel: arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo for
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxxrt
Jul 30 01:19:59 bone kernel: arplookup xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx failed: could not
allocate llinfo
Jul 30 01:19:59 bone kernel: arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo for
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxxrt
Jul 30 01:20:00 bone kernel: arplookup xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx failed: could not
allocate llinfo

Alot of those. Not sure what it means exactly but could it be related in any
way?

What do you suggest I do? Would you like to take a look at these vmstat files?

Thanks in advance.

P.S Any ideas why it might not have saved a core dump this time? All I got was
"Jul 30 01:21:39 bone savecore: no dumps found" I have dumpdev set in rc.conf
too. Maybe it didn't panic but spontaneously rebooted, perhaps because of a
change in -CURRENT? Or is spontaneous rebooting hardware problems?