Re: Vinum status

From: Paul Mather <paul_at_gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:43:45 -0400
On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:30:04 +0200 (CEST), Lukas Ertl <le_at_FreeBSD.org>
wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Jul 2004, Matthias Schuendehuette wrote:
[[...]]
> > Another problem occurs if geom_vinum.ko is loaded via loader.conf - it
> > does not panic any more (as it does about two weeks ago), but it does
> > not collect all subdisks of a RAID5-plex *at boottime*. If I start
> > gvinum if the system is up (multiuser), there are no problems any more
> > collecting *all* subdisks available...
>
> That should be fixed by now.

Does this imply that root-on-gvinum is working now?  Last time I tried
it (shortly after gvinum was committed to the tree), it worked except
that only half of the drives, plexes, and volumes in my Vinum RAID 1
mirror were detected when the gvinum module read the configuration from
the drives during boot.

I think root-on-gvinum not working is the only definite show-stopper I
can see for Vinum support when upgrading to 5.3, as far as I'm
concerned.  Lack of root-on-gvinum would prevent me from upgrading my
5.2.1-RELEASE-p9 system to 5.3-RELEASE. :-(

I have two identical spare drives for my -CURRENT system I can (ab)use
for testing...

Cheers,

Paul.
--