Re: ath driver and wg311t

From: Sam Leffler <sam_at_errno.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:59:21 -0700
On Wednesday 28 July 2004 09:53 am, Geoff Roberts wrote:
> > On Monday 26 July 2004 07:35 am, Geoff Roberts wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've got a Netgear WG311T (Atheros chip) card in my FreeBSD current
> > > machine. I'm trying to set it up as an access point.
> > >
> > > The card at the other end is a netgear WG111 (USB) on windows XP.
> > >
> > > It is very, very hard to get the two to connect (takes hours). Most of
> > > the time they don't. Once connected though they stay connected pretty
> > > well.
> > >
> > > I've turned on debug.ieee80211 and get the error message:
> > > unsupported auth 1.
> >
> > snip
> >
> > Your problem is likely due to use of 11g.  The existing net80211 code in
> > FreeBSD is missing proper 11g support.  Try forcing the ap to use only
> > 11b and see if things work.
> >
> >         Sam
>
> The answer is yes and no. The first time I forced the AP to llb the WG111
> connected OK. I've since been rebooting both the W2K machine and FreeBSD
> machine over the last day or so and there is still a lot of unsupported
> auth 1 messages. Sometimes they eventually connect and sometimes not.

"unsupported auth 1" is likely a complaint that a client is trying to use
shared key authentication when that is not supported.   Windows likes to do
this (try shared key first then fall back to open auth).

> Again, once connected they stay connected.
>
> Would a tcpdump reveal any more or should I be looking somewhere else for
> the problem? Also, do the parameters for the WG311T on FreeBSD need to be
> set in any particular order?

More what?  You said things work in 11b.  For 11g to work properly we need to
update the net80211 code to do the 11g protocol correctly and the ath driver
needs to be updated too.  I offered up unfinshed work to do this many weeks
ago but have gotten nothing back and have no idea when I'll have the free
time to complete the work myself.

	Sam