Re: ath driver and wg311t

From: Geoff Roberts <robertsg_at_westnet.com.au>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:21:18 +1000
>> snip
> >
> > The answer is yes and no. The first time I forced the AP to llb the WG111
> > connected OK. I've since been rebooting both the W2K machine and FreeBSD
> > machine over the last day or so and there is still a lot of unsupported
> > auth 1 messages. Sometimes they eventually connect and sometimes not.
>
> "unsupported auth 1" is likely a complaint that a client is trying to use
> shared key authentication when that is not supported.   Windows likes to do
> this (try shared key first then fall back to open auth).
>
> > Again, once connected they stay connected.
> >
> > Would a tcpdump reveal any more or should I be looking somewhere else for
> > the problem? Also, do the parameters for the WG311T on FreeBSD need to be
> > set in any particular order?
>
> More what?  You said things work in 11b.  For 11g to work properly we need
> to update the net80211 code to do the 11g protocol correctly and the ath
> driver needs to be updated too.  I offered up unfinshed work to do this
> many weeks ago but have gotten nothing back and have no idea when I'll have
> the free time to complete the work myself.
>
>         Sam

Sorry Sam, I must not have written my last point very clearly. In 11b I can
sometimes get a connection. However it still takes a long time (can be hours)
to establish that connection. Once the connection is made in 11b it is
stable. Therefore things work ONCE a connection is established - it is still
establishing the connection that is very difficult.

Since the problem still remains in getting an initial connection whether in
11b or any other mode I was thinking that there may be something else I
should use that might reveal which end is causing the difficulty. It could
just be that Windows gets stuck in rut with shared key auth.

Is the unfinished work you mentioned the patches on your web site? If so, I
have tried those if you would still like an feedback or further testing.

Geoff

--
Geoff Roberts
email: robertsg_at_westnet.com.au