ath driver and wg311t

From: Geoff Roberts <robertsg_at_westnet.com.au>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 00:35:34 +1000
Hi,

I've got a Netgear WG311T (Atheros chip) card in my FreeBSD current machine.
I'm trying to set it up as an access point.

The card at the other end is a netgear WG111 (USB) on windows XP.

It is very, very hard to get the two to connect (takes hours). Most of the
time they don't. Once connected though they stay connected pretty well.

I've turned on debug.ieee80211 and get the error message:
unsupported auth 1.

Looking through the code this means the WG111 on XP is trying to access the
WG311T on FreeBSD via a shared key - yet I've told XP to use open mode.

Unfortunately I don't have another wireless card to see whether it is just the
WG111 on XP that is the problem (it could be the driver on XP ignoring the
open mode selection).

Could it also be the FreeBSD ath driver telling the XP machine to connect with
a shared key?

Thanks,

Geoff

I've set the WG311T up as follows:
ath0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.10.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.10.255
        ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11g <hostap>
        status: associated
        ssid testnet 1:testnet
        channel 7 authmode OPEN powersavemode OFF powersavesleep 100
        rtsthreshold 2312 protmode CTS
        wepmode MIXED weptxkey 1
        wepkey 1:40-bit

On windows XP I've set the connection up as:
Data encryption: WEP
Network Authentication: open
Key is not provided automatically