``need toggle update'' on NetBSD and FreeBSD

From: Barry Bouwsma <freebsd-misuser_at_remove-NOSPAM-to-reply.NOSPAM.dyndns.dk>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:09:33 +0200 (CEST)
[keep replies on the list, not to me, to avoid bounces, thanks]
[sent both to NetBSD and FreeBSD, as the code in question originates
 in NetBSD]

Howdy.

I've noticed with glee the latest EHCI commits in the NetBSD
source tree, that are supposed to deal with the problem of
toggle updates.

First I merged the latest commits through mid-july into my FreeBSD
4.x system, but apparently still had problems with USB2 umass
devices and the data toggle.  This isn't too surprising, as my
source code is a mess, but I made several attempts, based on
the FreeBSD-stable and FreeBSD-current USB code, all with the
same problem.

Finally I installed NetBSD-current, and booted from the USB2
drive as my OS disk.  I get the following at boot, but I've
had no problems in minor attempts to pound the disk so far.

umass0 at uhub2 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0
umass0: Maxtor 5000XT v01.00.00, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2
umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
ehci_idone: need toggle update status=80018d40 nstatus=80008c80
ehci_idone: need toggle update status=80028d40 nstatus=80008c80
scsibus0 at umass0: 2 targets, 1 lun per target
sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <Maxtor, 5000XT v01.00.00, 0100> disk fixed
sd0: 233 GB, 16383 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 490232832 sectors

Whereas with what should be the same patches in FreeBSD, I
saw the following right before my USB2 drive went to lunch,
well after the boot had completed:
ehci_idone: need toggle update status=cff30d00 nstatus=50000d80
ehci_idone: need toggle update status=4df30d00 nstatus=50000d80

Perhaps this means something to someone.

As I note, I haven't excessively pounded the disk with NetBSD,
though it's survived a minor pummeling, but pretty much any
access to the disk with my patched FreeBSD results in it going
out to lunch.

I don't know if the `need toggle update' message appearing within
the NetBSD boot means anything -- I don't remember seeing it
during the FreeBSD boot, only when the disk went comatose --
but this could be useful info for Julian or whoever is looking
into FreeBSD USB2 support.

As well as a datapoint and kudos to NetBSD, for what it's worth.

Anyway, this is just for information.

thanks
barry bouwsma