Curious MySQL building problem /w GCC 3.4.2

From: Roderick van Domburg <r.s.a.vandomburg_at_student.utwente.nl>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:05:53 +0200
First off, thumbs up for the GCC import. I was awaiting the import to
get a couple of sparc64 boxes up and running!

I know I should normally report this to the maintainer or file a PR, but
since this seems so curious and hot on the heels of the GCC import, I
figured I'd post it here.

I CVSupped and rebuilt a quad Xeon III on July 29th, and it runs just
fine. However, when recompiling MySQL, progressed just came to a halt at:

make  all-am
Making all in strings
cc  -DDBUG_OFF -O -pipe -march=pentium3 -c `test -f 'strings-x86.s' ||
echo './'`strings-x86.s

0% CPU and virtually no memory in use.

Workaround: compiling strings-x86.s without -pipe. I re-enabled it for
the rest of the build, which is now running in the background and seems
peachy.

No idea what causes it, but here's the report. Should I report it to the
maintainer or the GCC team instead?

Regards,

Roderick