Re: about the gcc 3.4.x problems

From: Thomas David Rivers <rivers_at_dignus.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 08:22:31 -0400 (EDT)
"Geoffrey C. Speicher" <geoff_at_sea-incorporated.com>

> GCC-3.4 is in the tree; rejoice and be glad.  GCC-3.5 is not even an
> issue.  Just because Apple is using it doesn't mean everybody should.
> Apple has the resources to adopt gcc prereleases early, and thoroughly
> test and fix all the problems that they will undoubtedly find.

  On a side note - I'm not sure Apple has/had those resources.
 We reported a bug in their gcc (it wouldn't compile some of
 our sources, complaining of an internal error) in OS X 10.1.
 (A pre-release of GCC 3.2.x, I think.)

  The problem was fixed, about a year later, when the latest
 OS X was released... so, at last, our products are available
 on a mac.  We never received a fix and had to buy the new
 release to get the new versions.

  Many e-mails went to Apple asking about the status of the
 problem, pointing to where the fix needed to be made,
 etc... but - nothing _ever_ came back from Apple... and then,
 a couple of days before the latest release, the bug was
 simply closed.

  So - it seems, they didn't, in our case, have the resources
 to test and correct problems.  I have the opinion they
 simply jump on the latest... this is admittedly anecdotal.
 And, might simply be the exception that proves the rule :-)

	- Dave Rivers -

--
rivers_at_dignus.com                        Work: (919) 676-0847
Get your mainframe programming tools at http://www.dignus.com