Re: about the gcc 3.4.x problems

From: Geoffrey C. Speicher <geoff_at_sea-incorporated.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:56:04 -0400
On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 11:47:38AM -0500, Paul Seniura wrote:

> Scott Long wrote:
> >On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Paul Seniura wrote:
> >>
> >> In my neck of the woods 'round here, problems with GCC 3.4.x are
> >> not new.  For history's sake if nothing else, please take a look
> >> at a msg thread I started on this list back in April 2004:
> >> <http://docs.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?20040402210539.70E945C3B>
> >>
> >> We were _never_ able to compile kernels with 3.4.x -- there were
> >> too many options & other things that are no longer supported.
> >
> >Most of the problems that you site here and elsewhere have already been
> >resolved.  Alexander has spent an _INCREDIBLE_ amount of time on gcc 3.4.
>
> I'm sure he has.  Not putting anyone down for the work being done.
> Being able to DISCUSS things with these people is another matter.
> And I'm saying here & now that I feel like I was left out in the cold,
> starting in April 2004.

Paul, let's be realistic here.  The src committers have been busy enough
ramping up for 5.3-RELEASE.  They don't need to hear "I told you so in
April" and they shouldn't be expected to hold your hand.

GCC-3.4 is in the tree; rejoice and be glad.  GCC-3.5 is not even an
issue.  Just because Apple is using it doesn't mean everybody should.
Apple has the resources to adopt gcc prereleases early, and thoroughly
test and fix all the problems that they will undoubtedly find.

I'm sorry to hear that you are not happy with your place of employment.
I'm sorry that you can't help out with the system compiler as much as
you'd like.  But you must understand that you're the only one who can
remedy these issues, and publicly complaining doesn't help.

Geoff