Re: RFC: Alternate patch to have true new-style rc.d scripts in ports (without touching localpkg)

From: Mike Makonnen <mtm_at_identd.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 18:19:44 +0300
On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 07:05:42PM +0400, Andrey Chernov wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 05:56:16PM +0300, Mike Makonnen wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 03:24:56PM +0200, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:
> > > Lets be realistic: Nearly nobody wants his scripts to be sourced in the
> > > startup shell, especially not in /usr/local/etc/rc.d. People who really
> > > want to do this are experts that exactly know what they are doing, and
> > > are not easily confused.
> >
> > *sigh* You cannot arbitrarily declare that "nearly nobody wants his
> > scripts to be sourced in the startup shell". You have no idea of knowing
> > what a user might want to do with his system and what his level of
> > expertise is.
>
> That argument is against your position.

I don't think so... read on

> If you have no idea, user (i.e.
> script) can do _anything_, I mean easily damage startup shell even without
> evil intentions. You know example - apache13. We need minimal protection,
> separating base scripts level and ports scripts level, I mean executing
> them in the subshells.

You are right, that is the reason why there is a distinction between
scripts that have a .sh, and those that don't. If you really want
your script to be sourced in the same shell, then you give it a
.sh extension. Otherwise, it will be sourced in a subshell. So, when
portmgr has finished with the ports rc.d plumbing the apache script will
be installed without a .sh extension, and will thus be sourced in a
subshell.

Cheers.
--
Mike Makonnen  | GPG-KEY: http://www.identd.net/~mtm/mtm.asc
mtm_at_identd.net | Fingerprint: AC7B 5672 2D11 F4D0 EBF8  5279 5359 2B82 7CD4 1F55