Re: PXE Booting

From: Bjoern A. Zeeb <bzeeb-lists_at_lists.zabbadoz.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 11:59:16 +0000 (UTC)
On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, Lawrence Farr wrote:

> I've been doing a "make release" every night and using it to
> PXE boot from with 4.x for a good few years with no issues.
>
> Now that I'm doing the same with 5.x, I'm struggling a bit
> as to how to set it up. I can pick up the PXE image without
> a problem, and if I set the root-path to a folder containing
> the contents of a 5.2.1-RELEASE CD I can boot off it without
> a problem, but booting from a folder containing the contents
> of cd1 created by "make release" complains of not being able
> to find init. Anyone else doing this who can point me in the
> right direction?

multiple solutions are possible I think:

1) add
LOADER_TFTP_SUPPORT= YES
   to your make.conf (that make.conf must be copied into the
   chroot for your make release)

2) your kernel currently tries to load / from NFS root.
   when booting and seeing beasti escape to boot shell and
   say
set vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:/dev/md0c"

both should when properly load mfrsroot.gz from boot/ of the
cd1 and start sysinstall.

HTH