Re: Cannot Boot After Buildword

From: Brian Feldman <green_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 12:13:52 -0400
On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 05:04:21PM -0500, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> I have installed 5.2.1 on a couple of different machines - a PIII 1Ghz
> on a Tyan MB and a Dell PowerEdge 1300 w/Dual PIII 600Mhz - and have
> noted the following problem:
>
> The initial installation is fine.
>
> A subsequent custom kernel build works fine.
>
> However, cvsuping the -current sources and the doing a build/installworld
> causes the machine to no longer boot.  The loader reports that it cannnot
> find / and thus cannot find kernel or kernel.old.  The uniprocessor
> machine is running a vanilla IDE disk.  The Dell is running a Mylex 960
> SCSI system configured as RAID 3.  The Dell is known to work properly with
> 4.10 and the uniprocessor machine runs Win2K, FreeBSD 4.10, Darwin, and
> Mandrake 9 just fine ... so I don't think this is a hardware thing.
>
> Anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this?

It sounds like it would probably be a bug in either /etc/fstab, Mylex,
or GEOM.  When you get the prompt that / could not be found, can you
list what devices it was able to find, and hopefully include the
working/broken dmesg?

  <> green_at_FreeBSD.org                               \  The Power to Serve! \