Cannot Boot After Buildword

From: Tim Daneliuk <tundra_at_tundraware.com>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 17:04:21 -0500
I have installed 5.2.1 on a couple of different machines - a PIII 1Ghz
on a Tyan MB and a Dell PowerEdge 1300 w/Dual PIII 600Mhz - and have
noted the following problem:

The initial installation is fine.

A subsequent custom kernel build works fine.

However, cvsuping the -current sources and the doing a build/installworld
causes the machine to no longer boot.  The loader reports that it cannnot
find / and thus cannot find kernel or kernel.old.  The uniprocessor
machine is running a vanilla IDE disk.  The Dell is running a Mylex 960
SCSI system configured as RAID 3.  The Dell is known to work properly with
4.10 and the uniprocessor machine runs Win2K, FreeBSD 4.10, Darwin, and
Mandrake 9 just fine ... so I don't think this is a hardware thing.

Anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this?
Tim Daneliuk     tundra_at_tundraware.com