atapi problems getting weirder and weirder

From: Conrad Sabatier <conrads_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 17:24:23 -0500 (CDT)
I had posted recently about a problem I was having with a CD-RW drive on
acd1 (ata1-slave).  It does appear that this particular piece of hardware
has seen better days and is in need of replacement.

However, after my latest upgrade (FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #1: Mon May 31
22:52:53 CDT 2004), things have gotten considerably stranger re: both of my
ATAPI devices:

# atacontrol list
ATA channel 0:
    Master:  ad0 <Maxtor 94091U8/FA520S60> ATA/ATAPI revision 5
    Slave:   ad1 <WDC WD800BB-32BSA0/12.08C12> ATA/ATAPI revision 5
ATA channel 1:
    Master:      no device present
    Slave:  acd0 <R/RW 4x4x24/C12a> ATA/ATAPI revision 0

The ata1-master device (a COMPAQ DVD-ROM), which was working just fine
before, is now no longer being found at boot time, nor by using any
subsequent atacontrol commands, and as you can see, the broken slave device
is now being attached as acd0.  Bizarre!

I've rebooted/powered down, twiddled with the BIOS, enabled/disabled ACPI,
rebuilt the kernel with and without APIC, ATA_STATIC_ID, all to no avail.
This is just crazy!

I'm quite sure there's nothing wrong with the master device.  It was
working fine until this upgrade.  I'm completely at a loss as to what's
going on or how to proceed.

Any input will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

--
Conrad Sabatier <conrads_at_cox.net> - "In Unix veritas"