Re: What happened to src/sys/dev/sound/midi ?

From: Conrad Sabatier <conrads_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 13:14:29 -0500 (CDT)
On 03-Jun-2004 Scott Long wrote:
> Paul,
>
> I'm not going to respond to your follow-up nor am I going to reply in
> line as most of your comments are abrasive and inappropriate.  Yes,
> the removal of the MIDI code should have had a HEADS-UP message to the
> mailing list and it should have had an UPDATING entry.  It would have
> even been nicer if the new code had been imported immediatly after
> the old code was removed.  If you would like to help solve this then I
> would suggest contacting Seigo directly and asking what you can do to
> help, rather than showing us all that your caps-lock key works (or
> maybe it was stuck and you need to get it fixed?).

Unfortunately, this is *not* the first time something like this has happened in
FreeBSD's history.  There was quite a furor back when the old Voxware drivers
were about to be yanked (leaving us with *no* MIDI support in its place), yet
it was done anyway, despite the protests of a number of users (myself included).

If the man comes across as a little "abrasive", it's probably because he's a
little upset at having functionality he's come to rely on suddenly removed
without warning.  You can hardly blame him, really.

Why couldn't this have been held off until the replacement drivers were ready
to be added?  This makes no sense to me at all.

--
Conrad Sabatier <conrads_at_cox.net> - "In Unix veritas"