Re: 802.11g/GPRS broadcom cardbus

From: Bill Paul <wpaul_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 11:35:53 -0700 (PDT)
> Hello

[...]
> CIS reading done
> cardbus1: Resource not specified in CIS: id=10, size=2000
> cardbus1: Non-prefetchable memory at c0202000-c0203fff
> cardbus1: <network> at device 0.0 (no driver attached)
> cardbus1: Resource not specified in CIS: id=10, size=100
> cardbus1: IO port at 4000-40ff
> cardbus1: <simple comms, UART> at device 0.1 (no driver attached)
> cbb1: cbb_power: 0V
> cbb1: CardBus card activation failed
> Status is 0x30000126
>

> Is there a way of making it work ? (at least the serial interface)
>
> Thanks !
>
> Nicolas

Hm. In theory, I think it's possible to make the whole thing work.
The only tricky part is that they've combined two functions on the
same device. The 802.11g wireless function should work fine using
the NDISulator and the supplied Windows driver (check the CD that
came with it: there's probably a bcmwl5.sys and bcmwl5.inf file on
it somewhere). But the probe routine in if_ndis_pci.c only selects
devices based on the PCI vendor and device ID. If the two functions
appear to have unique device IDs, then you should be ok. If not, the
probe routine might try to claim both the wireless function and
the serial function.

If it turns out both functions have the same vendor/device ID, this
shouldn't be too hard to deal with: the probe routine can additionally
check the PCI device type code and reject anything that isn't 'network'
or 'wireless.'

As for the serial interface, assuming it behaves like a normal
COM port, I expect you can get it to work by adding the PCI vendor/device
ID to the PCI attachment of the sio driver. Then it will get attached
as an sio device.

-Bill

-Bill Paul            (510) 749-2329 | Senior Engineer, Master of Unix-Fu
                 wpaul_at_windriver.com | Wind River Systems
              <adamw> you're just BEGGING to face the moose