Re: sshd should not use TCP_NODELAY

From: Brian Feldman <green_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 11:38:38 -0400
On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 04:27:35PM +0400, Andrey Chernov wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 09:57:16PM +1000, Stephen McKay wrote:
> > My quick and ready answer to my problem is to hack openssh/packet.c and take
> > out the call to set_nodelay() from packet_set_interactive().  This means that
> > TCP_NODELAY is no longer set on the socket.  It also turns it off in the client
> > but I may change my mind on that yet.
>
> Just FYI, PuTTY client have an option to enable/disable TCP_NODELAY per
> user needs. If it will be an option, it should go to client part too.

It sounds like there needs to be an option to switch from TCP_NODELAY to
either one of the SSH1-type buffering mechanism or to a sockopt that can
be set on both ends.  I don't think TCP_NODELAY is really the problem,
but I bet that without it there would be enough delay in-between various
multi-character control sequences (arrow keys, etc.) that they'd
become useless.

  <> green_at_FreeBSD.org                               \  The Power to Serve! \