Re: weak implementation of threads has problems - kse fix attached

From: Dan Nelson <dnelson_at_allantgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 10:45:11 -0500
In the last episode (Jun 08), Kris Kennaway said:
> On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 11:48:45PM -0500, Dan Nelson wrote:
> > In the last episode (Jun 08), Daniel Eischen said:
> > > No, I don't want to litter all our thread libraries with strong
> > > references. As I've said before, build your shared libraries
> > > correctly so they don't bring in the threads library.
> >
> > A good addition to bsd.port.mk, right next to the "possible network
> > server" etc checks, might be to run ldd on all installed shared
> > libraries and print a warning if any threads libraries show up.  There
> > are a huge number of ports that install shlibs linked to libpthreads.
>
> Some of these are probably correct, in that the library started using
> libpthreads internally and there are a large number of clients that
> would otherwise need to be changed to link to that library.

I don't think you can have it both ways, though.  The rule is either
"pthreads-using shared libraries should pull in a pthreads lib
themselves" or "programs wanting to link to pthreads-using shared
libraries should link with a pthreads lib".

Attached are patches to add this check to the security-check target.
Ideally they would be checked separately or flagged as something other
than security problems, but that would require copying
security-check.awk and a larger diff..

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson_at_allantgroup.com