Re: Today's -current panics

From: Bosko Milekic <bmilekic_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 18:11:02 +0000
othermark wrote:
>It's all a default installation (I try to keep the machines as untweaked as
>possible).  The only thing in loader.conf is to turn on DMA for the hdd.
>
>I rebooted with kern.ipc.nmbclusters="0" and vm.kmem_size="300000000" in
>/boot/loader.conf.
>
>Another NFS installworld completed successfully (but appeared to going
>slower).  I'm assuming that GENERIC w/ no adjustments should complete this
>type of task w/o panicing anyway?   Thanks for your help Bosko!

  Be careful, though, if you are running GENERIC here.  GENERIC by
  default includes debugging options such as INVARIANTS and WITNESS
  which will significantly affect performance, so that could be why
  it feels slower, in particular if you were not running with those
  options before.  Also be careful if you ever intend to further
  increase vm.kmem_size, as it might also involve having to increase
  KVA_PAGES (kernel KVA).

  On another note, I noticed from your 'netstat -m' output that you
  have many mbufs allocated.  If you reduce/stop the NFS load, does
  the number of allocated mbufs ever drop?  If not, you could be
  hitting an mbuf leak somewhere (possibly in the NFS code).

  Also check to make sure that the debug.mpsafenet sysctl is set
  to zero (it should be by default, unless you're toggling it
  explicitly), just to be on the safe side.

  -Bosko