Re: Recent tty changes and snp

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 09:14:42 +0200
In message <20040611194808.GA55868_at_dan.emsphone.com>, Dan Nelson writes:

>I think the snp device got left out of the recent struct tty changes; I
>get the following panic when running "watch -W /dev/sometty" and typing
>a character.  Read-only watching a tty also causes a panic when I start
>typing on the real tty.

This is not intentional breakage, but it may be unavoidable breakage :-(

Snoop(4) is great functionality and I would have killed to have it
several times along my career, unfortunately its implementation is
a POS.

I'm currently pondering using bpf(4) for the task instead, but the
uneven layering of the tty layer has not offered me a clearcut place
to stick the code yet.