Serial console - how to reboot?

From: Eirik Oeverby <ltning_at_anduin.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 12:08:52 +0200
Hi all,

I have recently been getting the following messages on my console:
swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: device: #amrd/0x20001, blkno: 1072,
size: 4096
swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: device: #amrd/0x20001, blkno: 832,
size: 4096
swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: device: #amrd/0x20001, blkno: 512,
size: 4096
swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: device: #amrd/0x20001, blkno: 576,
size: 4096
swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: device: #amrd/0x20001, blkno: 584,
size: 4096

I am aware that this usually indicates a bad drive or something, but
given that it's a RAID volume hanging on an AMI MegaRAID controller
(SCSI), and none of the drives in the array are degraded, that can't
really be the case. I'm suspecting a bug in the driver (though freebsd
4.10 should be stable, right?) or a faulty cable or such.

What would mitigate the problem for now though would be to have a way to
reboot the system. I'm about 1000 miles away from the box, so I can't go
there, but I do have access via serial console (which is where I'm
getting these messages). I'm using minicom, but could use any other
serial comms package on FreeBSD. Not sure if C-A-D would help, but as I
don't know how to push that keycombo through minicom anyway, I'm kinda
stuck.
The box is replying to pings but no other services are available. The
console is also 'dead', i.e. i can't get any command prompts or login
prompt. Only these messages who keep showing up, about 1 per second.

Entering the kernel debugger might help, though I'm actually not sure if
it's compiled into the running kernel. But if it is, how can I get to it
via serial?

Anyone?

Thanks,
/Eirik