Re: HEADSUP: geom_vinum committed

From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 10:47:53 +0930
On Tuesday, 15 June 2004 at 21:49:30 +0200, Lukas Ertl wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Paul Mather wrote:
>
>> # Commented lines are from disklabel, and used to position vinum
>> # subdisks.  Note that the driveoffset is 16 sectors less than
>> # the offset in the disklabel, to account for the bootstrap
>> # (to be in accordance with the start of the vinum partition).
>
> Does that mean that you're mixing bsdlabels and vinum?  This could
> certainly lead to problems.  Furthermore I haven't tested root-on-vinum
> yet.
>
>> (BTW, gvinum failed to parse the above config file correctly.  I got
>> complaints about "setupstate" from what I rememeber.  Vinum accepts it
>> without complaint.)
>
> That's because I haven't implemented the 'setupstate' keyword.  In my
> opinion any RAID that needs to be initialized should be initialized.  We
> could argue about that, of course. :-)

Yes, we should argue about this one.  setupstate is deliberately not
the default, but in practice the difference doesn't matter, and
initializing a large plex can take a very long time.  By not making it
the default, it's the user's choice.

I don't think now is the time for gratuitous removal of functionality.
I know a lot has gone because of the difference in the environment,
but this is obviously a separate issue.

Greg
--
Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.
Finger grog_at_FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.