How to determine the L2 cache size on non-AMD CPUs (automatic page queue color tuning)?

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:27:58 +0200
Hi,

I'm working with Alan and Chad David on automatic tuning of the number
of colors for the page queue. For AMD CPUs (including amd64, but not
tested) we already have code in identcpu.c to determine the size of the
L2 cache and its associativity.

Now I need to know how to determine those properties on at least some
Intel CPUs (e.g. P3 & P4).

Since Intel has a lot of manuals and everyone contains a lot of pages, I
decided to first ask here if someone can give me a pointer please (or
working code).

For those interested to try the actual version, it's at
    http://www.leidinger.net/FreeBSD/current-patches/pq.diff

I'm already using this patch on my desktop system since some days, so
it's not very likely it will start WW3 or something like this if you
give it a try.

Patches for our other architectures are welcome too offcourse.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
           I'm available to get hired (preferred in .lu).

http://www.Leidinger.net                       Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net