Re: pam_nologin

From: Jon Noack <noackjr_at_alumni.rice.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:59:01 -0500
On 06/16/04 08:53, Paul Horechuk wrote:
> I just finished a binary upgrade from 4.7 to 5.21. The /usr/src tree has
> been cleaned out and /etc backed up. Everything appeard to go as
> expected. The system installed the root account with no password. I set
> a password and restored my hosts file. Upon a reboot I get the following
> after entering a username (any name):
> login: Unable to dlopen(/usr/lib/pam_nologin.so)
> Login: [dlerror: /lib/libutil.so.4: undefined symbol "mac_is_present"]
> login: adding faulty module: /usr/lib/pam_nologin.so
>
> then I get a core dump (login.core)
>
> I have to crash the system (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and login vy single user mode,
> but I don't have network access.
>
> Without a network I cannot cvsup any patches.

What I do when I need network access in single-user mode (mount disks,
turn on swap, turn on networking):
1) 'fsck -p' (ensure disk consistency)
2) 'mount -u /' (remount / as rw)
3) 'mount -at ufs' (mount the rest of the local partitions)
4) 'swapon -a' (get swap going)
5) '/etc/netstart' (start networking)

This may skip steps, do more than needed, or not use the right commands
-- I don't know.  It's just always worked for me...

Jon