Re: ppp with dynamic IPs and ipfw "me"

From: Oliver Fromme <olli_at_lurza.secnetix.de>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 11:36:51 +0200 (CEST)
Martin <nakal_at_web.de> wrote:
 > Sometimes, I get disconnected with my DSL router and ppp
 > reconnects me in background. This is correct so far, but
 > I also get a new (dynamic) IP and it seems that ipfw
 > does not forget my old IP.
 >
 > I noticed this behavior with the rules which restrict
 > the communication to the ntpd-port 123.

I'm not sure if this is related to your problem, but you
have to kill and restart ntpd every time you get a new IP.
That's because ntpd binds to every IP address it finds upon
startup explicitely, not just to "*".

You can do that automatically with a ppp.linkup script.

Regards
   Oliver

"That's what I love about GUIs: They make simple tasks easier,
and complex tasks impossible."
        -- John William Chambless