Re: Multiple choices for RAID-0, best performance?

From: Søren Schmidt <sos_at_DeepCore.dk>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 10:23:37 +0200
Brad Knowles wrote:

>     My understanding is that regular vinum won't work on 5.x, you need
> geom-vinum for that.  Recent postings from Søren have lead me to believe
> that none of the ataraid stuff works with 5.x, either -- you can use
> them as plain ATA controllers, but the RAID stuff has not yet been
> worked out.

Wrong, ataraid works fine on 5.x.

However there are some ATA software RAID setups that I havn't done the
metadata code for yet, but they'll get there eventually time permitting.
You can always use atacontrol to setup a RAID on *any* ATA
disk/controller setup, however you will need a BIOS with a known
metadata layout (Promise/Highpoint) to be able to boot from it (se man
atacontrol(1) for details)..

--
-Søren