Re: X.Org

From: Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads_at_cox.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 05:52:38 -0500 (CDT)
On 26-Jun-2004 Peter Ulrich Kruppa wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Beecher Rintoul wrote:
>
>> I have been using XFree86 for some time now, and it's time to do
>> some upgrades. I have heard that the new X.Org might be a better
>> choice.
>> Does anyone have an opinion on it? With the time involved to compile
>> on a 400 MHz box, I thought I would ask before I just dove in.
> Generally: it works on my -CURRENT machine.

I was very impressed that, on first bringing it up, it correctly
identified by video card and selected the correct driver automatically.
XFree86's nv driver would list my card as "unknown", whereas X.org
properly identifies it as GeForce FX 5200 (of course, I hadn't tried
XFree86 4.4, so it may do the same now).

> After some typing  in # pkgdb -F to fix all dependencies I could
> succesfully # portupgrade -a  with only one exception: openoffice
> (but this is problematic anyway and my old version still runs
>   without any issues).

What's a suitable replacement dependency for XFree86-fontScalable-4.3.0?
It's the only one that doesn't have an obvious counterpart in X.org.

> Some people reported perfomance improvements. I am not sure about
> that.

I'll reserve judgement here, as I'm only just starting with it, but it
*feels* nice.  :-)

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads_at_cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"