Re: geom_vinum problems (crashes and lockups)

From: Lukas Ertl <le_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 17:45:51 +0200 (CEST)
On Sat, 26 Jun 2004, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 02:07:03PM +0200, Lukas Ertl wrote:
> +> This is a situation that I currently consider 'unsupported'.  The problem
> +> is that the 'd' partition has no offset, thus it is (from the point of
> +> view of a geom_vinum drive geom) the same as the 'c' partition.  This is
> +> the first problem.  The second problem is the on-disk format of a
> +> bsdlabel.  As far as I understand it, this meta-data is stored inside
> +> the first partition, so when you open the drive for writing (i.e.
> +> mount, fsck) you trigger a spoil event which cause all kinds of confusion
> +> for geom_vinum.
>
> I don't know exactly what problems you got, but maybe it can help you:
> To avoid spoiling and metadata changes under me, I'm opening every
> provider, which I want to use in geom_mirror (r1w1e1), even if provider
> which I create isn't yet opened.

This was a good tip, but unfortunately it still doesn't work out.  I
always run into the 'spoiled but dcr = %d' KASSERT.  Unfortunately, kernel
debugging is currently rather a 'guessing' since kgdb doesn't work.  The
next problem is that you might specify /dev/da1s1a as vinum drive but get
/dev/da1s1c or even /dev/da1s1.  'Classic vinum' looked at the type field
in the disklabel, but we don't do this anymore.

cheers,
le

--
Lukas Ertl                         http://homepage.univie.ac.at/l.ertl/