Re: HEADSUP: ibcs2 and svr4 compat headed for history

From: Cordula's Web <cpghost_at_cordula.ws>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 19:03:19 +0200 (CEST)

> > > Is something wrong with Maple for Linux?  (Which is up to version 9.5,
> > > looks as if.)
>
> Randomly quoting application doesn't really help anybody here, the question=
> =20
> is: Do they work (in whatever emulation).
>
> > No license. Gatuitously dropping backward compatibility support for
> > commercial software is rude, to say the least... Where was that old
> > Solaris/x86 HDD now?. Yuck. :-(
>
> Are you saying here that Maple V for Solaris/x86 does indeed work with the=
> =20
> SVR4 emulation in -CURRENT right now and you're digging for that HDD in ord=
> er=20
> to boot Solaris or are you saying you're going to test if Maple V for=20
> Solaris/x86 does work with SVR4 compat?

Maple V Solaris/x86 works under SVR4 compat (after some tweaking).
Yes, even with a recent CURRENT (with Solaris 2.5.1 libs though).
Should this compatibility be retired, I'll have to boot Solaris
just to run this software. This is the first time I'm really
disappointed that backward compatibility infrastructure is to be
yanked away so abruptly :(

> Perhaps it would be better to keep the compat bits as ports? It looks to me=
> =20
> like there is a certain interest in them, just not among src committers.

Yes, please! Ports or src, as long as it works, there's no reason
to kill it outright. A conservative re_at_ mgmt, and respecting legacy
software users has always been one of FreeBSD's strong points.
This has been a dependable platform for a long time, so _please_
don't break with this tradition now.

Thanks,
cpghost.

--