Re: HEADSUP: ibcs2 and svr4 compat headed for history

From: Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 21:02:28 +0200
On Saturday 26 June 2004 19:56, Alex Keahan wrote:
> On Saturday 26 Jun 2004 8:24 pm, Tim Robbins wrote:

> > The kernel's internal interfaces change; security bugs are discovered.
> > Someone has to keep the code up to date, and the people who end up doing
> > the work are *not* the people who advocate keeping the code around.
>
> That's a slippery slope and you don't want to go there.
>
> Maintenance of old code is the price you have to pay when you write new
> code. That includes kernel interfaces and security bugs.

I think you should start investigating how to best maintain the existing code
outside of the source tree and bring it back as a port instead of trying to
provoke a bikeshed. It's not like like the code is going to be fed into a
digital shredder - in some ways, removing it from the src realm actually
makes it _more_ open for interested parties to contribute to.

--
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi_at_freebsd.org