Re: HEADSUP: ibcs2 and svr4 compat headed for history

From: Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd_at_online.fr>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 15:29:36 -0400
Alex Keahan wrote:
> You can use Sun's compilers for Intel to generate x86 assembly code and
> (with a little bit of tweaking) assemble it with gas to create a native
> FreeBSD binary.   Last time I did that (ca. 2000), I measured a 20-30%
> improvement in run-time execution speed.

I get that improvement using gcc3 over gcc2 on intel.  In fact, gcc
these days, on my code, is a bit faster than Intel's compiler.

Even on Solaris/sparc, I know many people who prefer gcc to Sun's
compilers (perhaps not for speed reasons, but people who want
numbercrunching speed don't use sparc any more anyway...)

Rahul