Re: HEADSUP: ibcs2 and svr4 compat headed for history

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 18:12:18 -0600 (MDT)
In message: <3949.1088292437_at_critter.freebsd.dk>
            "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
: In message <20040626231221.GA11573_at_dragon.nuxi.com>, "David O'Brien" writes:
: >On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 12:08:36PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
: >> In message <20040626100116.GK7457_at_wantadilla.lemis.com>, "Greg 'groggy' Lehey"
: >> writes:
: >>
: >> >Has this been approved of by the core team or any other official organ
: >> >of the project?
: >>
: >> I got a "good riddance" from re_at_ (scottl)
: >
: >That isn't sufficient.  Please run thru the TRB or Core also.
: >The two of you cannot unilaterally decide to axe large subsystems.
:
: Why do you think that a HEADSUP was sent to current_at_ David ?
:
: Presumably you belive I did that to try to sneak this decision past
: your highly sentitive nose, the bulk of the committers, our most
: active users, the core team, the TRB, UN peace-keeping forces, and
: Lloyds Register ?

Sarcasm doesn't help your case, and paints you as a 'cowboy'.

: Or could it be, just by chance, that I recognized that nobody on
: core (or the TRB) would have enough information to answer the very
: simple question:  "Is there a significant use of these bits which
: we are currently unaware off ?", and therefore decided to poll a
: larger audience ?

Polling a larger audience is a necessary step in removing the bits.
It may not be sufficient, however.  One large user could veto this
removal if core_at_ thought it important to keep that user happy, for
example.

: (If you answer this correctly David, you win a little yellow rubber
: mat you can stomp on next time you get upset about somebody not
: "following procedures")

Actually, there are good reasons to follow those proceedures.  You'll
get a lot less flack from people when you do.

: If somebody wants to pull the bits into a port and maintain it there
: I have absolutely no problems with them doing that.

I think this would be an excellent idea.  Does anybody care enough to
do this?  I'd do it, but I have no way to test it, nor any luck in the
past making it work.  Also, if no one can be bothered to do it the
first time, I doubt anyone would maintain it going forward.

I will be happy to commit it for someone that does the footwork and
says they will maintain it.

Warner