Re: HEADSUP: ibcs2 and svr4 compat headed for history

From: <pfgshield-pedro_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 20:10:35 +0200 (CEST)
Just my $0.02;

One thing is killing COMPAT_SUNOS and COMPAT_43, assuming removing them does
clean up something and that everything will work as before, however I think the
commercial UNIX compat should be preserved precisely because these systems are
on their way to extinction, although not there yet.

How about people wanting to migrate from those systems into something more
modern? What if their legacy applications (for which they spent money) have no
opensource equivalent? If someone doesn't want to use them, just don't build
them, there's no need to axe them.

It looks like the decision is already taken though so let me say, just IMHO,
that NetBSD is looking more and more attractive lately, while our compatibility
base is shrinking their's is growing.

cheers,

    Pedro.

Yahoo! Companion - Scarica gratis la toolbar di Ricerca di Yahoo!
http://companion.yahoo.it