Suggest to upgrade some software in base

From: Divacky Roman <xdivac02_at_stud.fit.vutbr.cz>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 16:54:08 +0200
Hi,

I digged through our base system and looked for versions of contributed soft.
I found these program which could (and I think should) be easily and painlessly
upgraded (before 5.3 as 5-STABLE) because they are outdated etc...
these are:

file - 3.41 -> 4.09
Painless upgrade and the benefit is much newer magic file
ftp://ftp.astron.com/pub/file/

tcsh - 6.12 -> 6.13
Mainly bugfix upgrade - also absolutely painless
http://www.tcsh.org

diff - 2.7 -> 2.8.1
Should be painless (I think) and I dont see why should we keep the old version
http://www.gnu.org/directory/GNU/diffutils.html

ntp, 4.1.0 -> 4.2.0
Another one which cannot hurt to have up-to-date and also I dont see reason why
this shouldnt be painless (4.2.0 includes openssl - benefit)
http://ntp.org

None of the above mentioned have been modified by FreeBSD so the import is
painless (with the exception of diff where was fixed some bugs but I think this
has been corrected in the new version).

I think this should be upgraded and will be glad to see so happen ;)

Roman Divacky