Re: Can the install floppy data go on a flash drive?

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:50:45 -0700 (PDT)
On Sun, 27 Jun 2004, Tom Parquette wrote:

> This may sound a little odd but I was wondering if there is a way I can
> get the data from the 5.2.1 install floppies onto a flash drive and boot
> the install process from the flash drive.
>
> The machine in question does not have a floppy or CD-ROM drive so my
> options are:
> 1) temporarilly connect a floppy drive
> 2) Figure out how to get PXE to work for an install process
> 3) Some other option yet to be determined

Sounds like you're building a small machine, i.e. soekris.  Take a look at
MiniBSD for a recipe:

http://neon1.net/misc/minibsd.html

I was able to fit the entire system on a 256MB flash, but if you have a
smaller flash card they have instructions for paring it down. I used a
laptop with a CF-PCMCIA adapter as the build host. Twiddling the fdisk
table for it is a little tricky but can be done.