Re: HEADSUP: ibcs2 and svr4 compat headed for history

From: Daniel Lang <dl_at_leo.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:07:42 +0200
Hi Karl,

Karl M. Joch wrote on Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 09:48:32AM +0200:
[..]
> have to trash the stallion card they buyed because it was in the
> hardware compatibility list. most was mad, because they have invested
> the hardware after changing their systems from SCO to FreeBSD (we
> replaced a lot of them). Now I have to tell them "Great, you trashed the
> cards (not alot of them have), but you have to stay at 4.x because the
> software (ERP/Financial/Billing) we moved from SCO to FreeBSD with IBCS
> Emulation doesnt work on 5.x".
>
> No, I am not able to maintain the moduls because i am not a good enough
> programmer. If that would be the case i would have adapted the stallion
> stl driver.
[..]

Hmmm,

this sounds like you are selling a product based on FreeBSD,
which is fine and fair. However, since now you are relying on
a feature which suffers from neglect, and you have already
thought about contributing yourself, have you thought about
offering some financial support to anyone who may be willing
to support it?

PHK's project appears to be a success, so maybe you could
motivate someone with some financial contribution to
freshen up the code and at least put it in a port-maintainable
state? Just a suggestion.

Best regards,
 Daniel
--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock   - signs of absurd developments in the net community:
#42:   - "Wurstbrot gehoert m.E. zum Fruehstuecks-botnet von Cartoon" -
 Daniel Lang * dl_at_leo.org * +49 89 289 18532 * http://www.leo.org/~dl/