Re: HEADSUP: ibcs2 and svr4 compat headed for history

From: Karl M. Joch <k.joch_at_ctseuro.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 09:48:32 +0200
I think if one would ask the stable userbase there would be lot of
different answers. like for me, i tell customers they have a long live,
very stable OS for their servers where updates are easy and free and
they can stay always with the latest release. now i got the problem that
in the first step there was mails around, that the stallion drivers are
removed from the source tree. so i had to tell a lot of customers they
have to trash the stallion card they buyed because it was in the
hardware compatibility list. most was mad, because they have invested
the hardware after changing their systems from SCO to FreeBSD (we
replaced a lot of them). Now I have to tell them "Great, you trashed the
cards (not alot of them have), but you have to stay at 4.x because the
software (ERP/Financial/Billing) we moved from SCO to FreeBSD with IBCS
Emulation doesnt work on 5.x".

No, I am not able to maintain the moduls because i am not a good enough
programmer. If that would be the case i would have adapted the stallion
stl driver.

Flame me if you like, but from a users/intergrators point of view
breaking the backward compatibility that way is really worse for the
public image of the OS. And the answer "you are free to stay with 4.x"
is not an answer acceptable for customers.

--
Best regards / Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Karl M. Joch