Re: i386->AMD64 upgrade path

From: Sean McNeil <sean_at_mcneil.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:37:24 -0700
> Apologies for the noob question (and perhaps a slightly-OT post), but
> I've
> been debating purchasing an AMD64 machine for about a month now.
> Aside from
> being lost in the myriad of available CPUs, I'm lost in the upgrade
> path.
>
> According to the statement above, this means that I can boot,
> buildworld,
> buildkernel, installkernel, reboot into single-user, installworld,
> rebuild
> ports?  Will that move me to a 64-bit platform?  Or is there some
> other
> trickery to this?  Would a binary upgrade be a better path?

A binary upgrade would be better than the rebuild method and a clean
install would be preferable.  The one thing I ran into is all my
databases had to be rebuilt as well.  I didn't take this into
consideration, but was fortunate that I had dumps.  Things like ldap and
postgres were my main concern.  Other than that, there is one extra
thing you have to do:

Make sure you have IA32 options set in the kernel.  You'll fail to boot
the first time and have to use "/rescue/sh" as your shell and do a
"/rescue/cp /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 /libexec/ld-elf32.so.1". After that,
you should be able to reboot to single user mode and do the make
installworld.

Sean