i386->AMD64 upgrade path

From: Damian Gerow <dgerow_at_afflictions.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:54:35 -0400
Thus spake Kenneth Culver (culverk_at_sweetdreamsracing.biz) [29/06/04 10:23]:
: >What is the state of the AMD64 version of BSD? Other than that im leaning
: >toward the 1.7GHz Centrino, but I hear a lot of problems with FreeBSD
: >working right with Centrino, is this correct? What are the issues?
: >
: It runs OK, with some minor nits compared to x86 version. I'm not sure
: what the
: laptop maker is talking about... but if you boot the x86 version of FreeBSD,
: it'll work. I think they meant you can't switch from amd64 to x86 after
: already
: booting an OS.

Apologies for the noob question (and perhaps a slightly-OT post), but I've
been debating purchasing an AMD64 machine for about a month now.  Aside from
being lost in the myriad of available CPUs, I'm lost in the upgrade path.

According to the statement above, this means that I can boot, buildworld,
buildkernel, installkernel, reboot into single-user, installworld, rebuild
ports?  Will that move me to a 64-bit platform?  Or is there some other
trickery to this?  Would a binary upgrade be a better path?