Re: Detection of SATA drives on 5.2.1-RELEASE-p8

From: Søren Schmidt <sos_at_DeepCore.dk>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 16:57:30 +0200
Fred N. Souza wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   We have a box running 5.2.1-RELEASE-p8 on a SATA disk. However, at
>   boot FreeBSD recognizes it as UDMA100, and I've been told the correct
>   should be something like UDMA150, but I don't know if that's true.
>
>   Anyway, is there a way for me to tell whether it's running at 150 or
>   100? The weird part is that apart from the name and addressing data,
>   FreeBSD recognizes the SATA disk just like the IDE we have on the very
>   same box. Attached is the dmesg for that box, note how both ad0 and
>   ad2 are shown as UDMA100..

You need to go -current to get the reported interface corrected.

Anyhow, the SATA interface always runs at 150MB/s. However if your disk
is not a native SATA disk but one with a PATA->SATA dongle on it, the
speed between the dongle and the disk wil be whats reported and
limitting your transferrates...

--
-Søren