RE: Q's about IBM TSM (was Re: HEADSUP: ibcs2 and svr4 comp at headed for history)

From: Thyer, Matthew <Matthew.Thyer_at_dsto.defence.gov.au>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:15:16 +0930
I would love to have this automatic generation/maintenance of /compat/linux/etc/mtab.

This would help me greatly for backup of systems using Linux backup software.

Currently the software (HP OpenView DataProtector) will fail to backup the system if the file does not contain lines regarding the file systems I want to backup.

Ideally this would need some kernel support to handle updating of the file whenever file systems are manually mounted and unmounted.  Remember that Linux's etc/mtab file is to record what is currently mounted.  A simple translation of FreeBSD's /etc/fstab at module load time or system boot time is not really adequate.