Re: mlx driver related kernel panic in Freebsd 5.2.1-RELEASE

From: Patrick Hurrelmann <outi_at_outi.echsi.de>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 11:02:04 +0100
Jonathan Weiss wrote:

>>>OK, I seem to be able to get FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE to reliably panic with
>>>a "panic: free: address 0xd8d5e000(0xd8d5e000) has not been allocated." on
>>>the serial console when it crashes.
>>>
>>>I'm doing two copies of the entire ports collection to seperate
>>>subdirectories when the crash occurs. It seems to do this regardless of
>>>
>>>The machine is an IBM Netfinity 5500 with 4 x 550Mhz P3 Xeon CPUS, 2gigs
>>>of ram and a Mylex DAC1100 RAID controller. There are 6 73G disks attached
>>>to channel 0 of the controller, 5 disks are in a RAID 5 array, the sixth
>>>is a hot spare.
>>>
>>>Any ideas?
>>>

>>I see the same here with my p2 400 and a Mylex DAC960PL and 5x4,5 GB HDDs.
>>Installing 5.2.1-RC2 fails with the same panic.
>>5.1 worked flawlessly.
>>
>>Jonathan Weiss
>>

>Sorry for replying to myself, but I tried a snapshot (28/2/04) and got the
>same panic. Installing 5.1 is working and until the end of january I also
>had current without problems on this machine. I am not sure, but I think
>that i also had 5.2.1-RC1 on this machine without problems, so the problem
>may be introduced not long ago.
>
>Thank you,
>Jonathan Weiss

i have same panic with my siemens primergy 470 (Single P2 450 and Mylex
DAC960 configured as raid5) during install. but it occurs even with 5.2
rc2 and 5.2 release. so the erros have have been committed much earlier.
it crashes in the part of install when it tries to copy the man-pages.

i can't deliver detailed error description, as it reboots immediatly
after panic :/