Re: Mozilla Firefox and firebird problems after sat 022604upgradeof FreeBSD-current

From: Aaron Peterson <aaron_at_alpete.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:20:28 -0500 (EST)
> On Sunday 29 February 2004 05:40 pm, Michael Clark wrote:
>> Im still have the same problems after a day of frustration.  Firefox
>> will start sometimes, then freeze the whole system.  No ssh, no ping.
>> I am at a loss as to where to go with it.
>> Xmms does the same thing, loads and dies.  Ive portupgraded -f firefox
>> again to see if it helped.  Something is very wrong....
>
> Rename /etc/libmap.conf to another name and try again.  My FreeBSD
> 5.2-CURRENT #7: Thu Feb 26 10:47:38 PST 2004 works just fine with firefox
> installed on Feb 19 00:56, with no libmap.conf file.

I tried renaming libmap.conf this morning, and there was no change in
behavior -- still locked up hard.  That wouldn't be a very good solution
long term anyway, since mplayer doesn't seem to work without the
libmap.conf :).  I also attempted to "ktrace firefox", but apparently
ktrace doesn't write anything until the proccess dies/ends?  when the
machine locked and i rebooted, there was no ktrace.out or whatever to read
with kdump :(

I had so much installed on this system that it was difficult (time
consuming!) to rebuild everything, so I did "pkg_delete -a" last night,
and then reinstalled a few applications that i really needed.  This also
was my way of being doubly sure that all my packages were rebuilt.  I
rebuilt X, enlightenment, aterm, firefox, xmms, and gnucash.  afterwards i
started firefox and it locked still.  I'm considering cleaning my /usr/src
tree and rebuilding the world/kernel again after a fresh cvsup.  Of course
this wouldn't pin down the problem so I hesitate to go that route.  Since
I'm not really coming up with a good way to pin down the problem though,
maybe it's not a bad idea.  Maybe it won't help anyway.  hehe, kindof
frustrating :)

Perhaps i should try cleaning out the dot directories in my home in case
it's some sort of configuration problem?  seems unlikely, but possible.

Aaron