Re: if_bfe hangs?

From: Duncan Barclay <dmlb_at_dmlb.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 22:19:05 -0000
> Hi,
> I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 which has the Broadcom BCM4401 ethernet
controller
> in it, so I am using if_bfe. Mostly it seems to work, but just recently I
> visted a friend who had a 10Mbit hub and I could reliably get my entire
> system to wedge if I did even a small amount of network activity..
>
> Has anyone had a similar experience? I have a 10Mbit hub at work so I
might
> see if it's repeatable, but it's a solid hang (can't break into debugger)
so
> it might be difficult to debug :(

A couple of people have mentioned this, but I haven't seen it.

If you have the time/inclination it might be worth while trying
    http://people.freebsd.org/~dmlb/bcm-0308252140.tar.gz
on current. This code is what I was working on before bcm merged with
Stuart's work to form bfe (and hence may not compile straight off).

The reason I suggest trying it, is that I developed it on a 10Mbit hub and
didn't have any severe hangs with it. If it works we may be able to track
down the reason why if_bfe fails.

Duncan