My planned work on networking stack

From: Andre Oppermann <andre_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 23:18:34 +0100
Hi all,

I put this up for coordination and cooperation in my planned work on the
FreeBSD networking system.  This is my todo list of things I want to do
from now through summer 04.  If you are or intend to work on one of these
please step forward so we can coordinate.  :-)

 [] move ARP out of the routing table and instantiate it once per ethernet
    broadcast domain.  (started)

 [] automatically sizing TCP send buffers to achieve optimal performance
    over a wide range of bw*delay situations.  (in progress)

 [] establish a testbed for testing and qualification of TCP performance
    and optimizations over a wide range of network conditions (types,
    speeds, packet loss ratios, out of order, etc).  (started)

 [] update and write more documentation for the network stack and related
    code.  (started)

 [] adjust or rewrite the IPFW API to use the PFIL_HOOKS instead of being
    woven directly into ip input/output.  (unless someone else does it)

 [] move IPv4 routing to its own optimized routing table structure and
    add multi-path and policy-routing options.  (planned)

 [] profile (don't speculate) common network server usages overall and
    in specific detail in depth in the network code.  (planned)

 [] write a network statistics (only local, no sniffing) gathering daemon
    that collects vital real world IP and TCP behaviourial statistics.
    (planned)

 [] rewrite (or port over NetBSDs) tcp_reass() function which is currently
    rather inefficient.  (planned)

 [] remove TTCP complexity and replace it with something along the lines
    of TCP_MD5SIG to continue to allow fast connection setups but simpler
    in implementation.  (Nothing fixed yet, up for discussion)

 [] other stuff that I happen to stumble over... ;-)

--
Andre