Re: My planned work on networking stack

From: Andre Oppermann <andre_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 16:18:12 +0100
Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 3:52 PM +0200 2004/03/02, Andrew Degtiariov wrote:
>
> >>      Oh, and then there are all the operational issues where
> >>  zebra/quagga can't keep sessions going when a neighbor flaps, etc....
> >>  Those would require re-architecting the whole routing system, at
> >    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >  Congratulation. That's namely what the conversation was about.
>
>         Right.  We can either re-architect zebra/quagga, or we can start
> with something that addresses the weaknesses in these tools, or we
> can do something else.

The best thing would be to stay by the sideline, be quiet and let
the people who know what they do solve these things for everyones
benefit.

>         I'm advocating that we at least take a long hard look at what
> Henning Brauer has done, and seriously consider whether it would make
> sense for us to start with that to give us a leg up on the
> re-architecting process.

What Henning, Claudio and me are doing is certainly a step forward.
Although there is no re-architecting of the routing system going on.
It's just a different and more efficient implementation approach. We
do not reinvent the world.

>         If nothing else, this would at least give us an interesting
> insight to what some of the weaknesses are in this category, and
> maybe help us identify better solutions faster and more easily.
>
>         In particular, if there are such serious problems with
> zebra/quagga that they would need to be completely re-architected in
> order to be useful, then I don't see that as being a particularly
> fruitful line of work to pursue.  I'd rather start with something
> that requires less re-work, and would presumably allow us to more
> easily add in any additional bits that we feel are necessary or
> desirable.

I'd like to see you do any real work in this area instead of
producing many and longs emails with lots of mis-informed rants
in them.  Yes, this my official put-up-or-shut-up call to you.

--
Andre