Re: My planned work on networking stack

From: Gleb Smirnoff <glebius_at_cell.sick.ru>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 01:24:06 +0300
On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 02:16:13PM -0800, Randy Bush wrote:
R> > I do not insist that AS pathes in kernel are good idea. If you
R> > show me an other way to get AS information when constructing
R> > netflow exports in kernel, I'd be thankful.
R>
R> do we need to rediscover why flow export places a large processor
R> burden on criscos, junipers, prockets, ...?

  Not because of AS path info, definitely. Netflow does route lookup
anyway to get nexthop and route masks. If route lookup will return
a pointer to a structure with one more field it will not introduce
ant additional load.
  My experience shows, that most load in flow processing is caused
by: 1) memory allocation, 2) expiry lookups.

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.
GLEBIUS-RIPN GLEB-RIPE