Re: My planned work on networking stack

From: Andre Oppermann <andre_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 15:11:54 +0100
James wrote:

> > >  [] move IPv4 routing to its own optimized routing table structure and
>
>         finally it's about time   :)
>
> > >     add multi-path and policy-routing options.  (planned)
>
>         would the policy-routing optioned table sort of similar to VRF's or
>         different routing instances that could potentially be tied to userlands
>         like Quagga?

Policy-routing in this context means to have multiple forwarding tables
which are being selected based on something else than the destination
address.  Normally that is the source address or source/incoming interface.
Optionally it can be anything one of our firewall systems can match on and
then tag the packet.

The routing tables for source and destination address matches are opaque
or non-opaque.  That means you can have a table with exceptions and if
an address doesn't match there it will fall through onto the next or
default table.  Or, if it's a opaque table, it will result in an unreach
message.  Etc.  It's not VRF as such but can be set up to work like it.

The userland routing daemons have the option to specify the table they
want to modify.  This requires certain changes to the routing daemons
and a redesign of the routing message format (but not the routing socket).

--
Andre