Re: My planned work on networking stack

From: Andre Oppermann <andre_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 15:34:54 +0100
Gleb Smirnoff wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 09:28:25AM +0000, Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> B> However, not including an OSPF/BGP daemon doesn't preclude us from ensuring
> B> that APIs which are exposed for advanced routing functionality (multipath,
> B> etc) do the right thing across the board, are well defined, etc.
>
> Yes, this would be a good alternative. If FreeBSD routing API extends, and
> routing daemon's developers are notified about these extensions, then they
> will add support for these features.

I will make sure to notify them.

> B> As to the second part of your mail: That sounds like a reasonable suggestion,
> B> I am sure Andre and others are paying attention to this and will take it on
> B> board when an implementation is nearer.
>
> If this is OK from you, I start working on it (second variant using sockaddr_aspath).
> I'm willing to see this feature, and I have a good testing conditions for it.

Putting the AS path into the kernel routing table is certainly not the
right thing to do.  The kernel fib must be as small as possible.  All
information how a route made it there is pretty much irrelevant and
only the business of the routing protocol daemons.

--
Andre