Re: My planned work on networking stack

From: Vladimir Grebenschikov <vova_at_express.ru>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 13:06:20 +0300
On ΧΤ, 2004-03-02 at 11:26 +0300, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
(missed CCs)

Hi

>   Currently I'm working on my Netflow implementation, and I have faced the
> following problem: I've already got global routing in my routing table, but it
> lacks AS (Autonomous System) information. The routing daemon (zebra in my case)
> already knows ASes, but this informations is lost when routing information is
> injected into kernel. It'll be nice to add AS path to struct rtentry.
>   Seems like there is no problem with extending struct rtentry, but injecting
> this info from userland requires changes to routing API. I see two ways of
> implementing it:

What for you need have as-path in FIB (forwarding information base) ?

If you are going to do as-path policy routing then , I think, it is
invalid solution, because on next step you will import community-list
into FIB, and etc.

IMHO, Better solution will be ability to refer from route entry some
additional route information block, and then (on phase of routing
decision) examine this block by loadable routing decisions modules.

So, any 3rd-party software (like zebra) will install it's own
routing decisions module(s) and supply additional routing information
blocks (not stored in rtentry).

Anyway kernel still should have ability to add more then one entry for
single prefix to FIB.